Devastating Fires on KI – Bin and service stickers replacement
All of us here at the Fleurieu Regional Waste Authority (FRWA) express our concern and sympathy for the Kangaroo Island community which has been impacted by the devastating bush fires. Our sincere admiration and thanks goes to the fire fighters and emergency service personnel who have shown great courage and compassion in the work they have done and continue to do within the Kangaroo Island community.
FRWA staff based both on the island and the mainland, are committed to working with and supporting the Kangaroo Island community in the recovery effort.
Updated 20 January 2020
Please check this website for regular updates.
Some kerbside collections may be affected by fire damage and road closures. Residents and visitors are advised to -:
- Place bins kerbside for collection and leave them kerbside – if it is safe to do so – we will resume collections in your area/road as soon as possible.
- FRWA is unable to access areas for kerbside collection where road closures remain in place
- Bins will be collected but not any additional waste that is left kerbside
Residents and visitors can take waste to the Kangaroo Island Resource Recovery Centre (KIRRC), 1207 North Coast Road, 9.30am to 4.30pm, open 7 days.
Bin Replacement For Fire Affected Properties
During the recovery period the Fleurieu Regional Waste Authority will -:
- Provide FREE replacement of kerbside bins (applicable to all collection types) which have been damaged or destroyed as a result of the recent fires. Please take proof of address to the Kangaroo Island Council office 43 Dauncey Street Kingscote to action a new bin request.
Council is currently distributing bins from the Parndarna Health Centre, this will transfer to the Parndarna Recovery Centre when established. Bins are also available from the Western Districts Sporting Oval and KIRRC.
Replacement Bin Sticker – Additional Bin Services and Exceptional Circumstances (EC) Services
- replace additional collection service stickers as required
- refund remaining 6 months (1 January to 30 June 2020) of additional collection service stickers in circumstances where they are no longer required
Please telephone FRWA direct 8555 7405 for additional collection service enquiries.
Kangaroo Island Council will replace approved exceptional circumstances (EC) bins and stickers as required – please contact Council direct for replacement of an approved EC bin and 2019-2020 sticker (white background).
There is no charge for replacement FRWA additional collection or EC stickers.
Kangaroo Island Resource Recovery Centre – KIRRC – 1207 North Coast Road, 9.30am to 4.30pm, open 7 days
Ideally sort loads as much as possible into
- organics – food waste, tree or shrub wood or prunings (non-treated wood), and other compostable materials
- rock and concrete
- steel and metal
- CCA treated timber
- asbestos – presented as per the Safework Asbestos Brochure (dampened , covered and sealed in two layers of 200 micron builders’ plastic and placed on a pallet or bearers
to assist with off loading at the KIRRC.
Please monitor the FRWA website www.frwa.com.au for updates to kerbside bin collection routes. FRWA will post updates and alternative waste management arrangements on this website as soon as they are available.
Road closure map CLICK HERE for KI Road Closure Map